Your hosts Lucy and Ángel are passionate about the area and its food, wine and olive oils. During your stay you will develop a deep insight into the fascinating history of the area as Ángel and Lucy guide you all the way from a gourmet Andalusian breakfast to producing your own dinner with the products you have been discovering.
This is the region for the prized Iberian Ham – not to be confused with Serrano Ham, the Iberian Pig a small black animal native to the Iberian peninsula which thrives here due to the dehesa, a beautiful farmed woodland filled with mediterranean evergreen oak and an ancient model of sustainable farming developed through the centuries to provide it’s favourite food – the acorn. The highly prized ham is air-cured for up to 5 years before it is ready for carving and it’s truly wonderful, unique flavour places it high in the gourmet stakes.
€495 per person based on 2 people sharing twin/double room
Included in the price:
- Accommodation at Posada San Marcos in a twin/double room for 3 nights
- Arrival by 12 noon on day 1, flexible check out on day 4
- Discounts available for 3rd and 4th person
- Free transfer from Seville for groups of 4 to 8
- All transport to and from the various visits if required
- Typical Andalusian breakfast each morning
- Lunch on days 1 (tapas) and 2 (gourmet tasting menu)
- Dinner on days 1 and 3
- Guided and interpreted visit to organic Iberian pig farm
- Guided and interpreted visit to Ham museum (entrance fee included)
- Iberian ham and air cured sausage carving and tasting accompanied with sherry tasting
- Cookery demo/ class
- All cooking materials and ingredients
Extra nights available on bed and breakfast basis
Solo travellers can have their own private room for no extra cost if travelling as part of a group or joining an existing group booking, making this a perfect break for singles.
Maximum group size 8
Suitable for all ages and families, ideal for a family break
Transfers from Seville airport are included for 4 or more people.
Public transport is available and we can provide all the details necessary on booking. Pick up and drop off in Aracena is included (12km from accommodation). Transport is provided for all visits during the holiday.
The itinerary is for guidance only and is subject to change depending on the group’s needs and wishes but is typically as follows:
- Day 1– Arrival at 12 noon, visit ham museum and lunch based around the iberian pig. Sherry tasting, ham carving, chacina tasting followed by supper
– Note: If you are arriving on public transport then we will be at the bus station in Aracena to meet you. After a coffee we will head to the museum. If you are arriving by car hire then you can check in before the trip to the museum.
– After the guided and translated tour of the ham museum we will sit down to sample the delights of the Iberian pork cooked in various ways.
– Return to the hotel after lunch and relax in the afternoon before getting together for the sherry tasting (3 different types of sherry), ham carving and tasting and description and tasting of other Iberian pork cold cuts followed by supper.
- Day 2 – Visit to the Organic Pig Farm followed by gourmet lunch and free time
– After breakfast we set off for a short drive to the farm. Here Ángel will accompany you around the farm interpreting Armando as he describes his daily life and why they decided to go organic. You will see their bodega full of hanging hams of up to 4 years old and then have another go at carving before tasting their delicious product. This will be followed by a gourmet lunch with produce from their own land. After lunch we can drop you off at the local beauty spot where you can admire the views before the short walk back to Alájar. Other options are available for your free afternoon and we will give you plenty of recommendations for dinner in the village.
- Day 3 – Visit to butchers to purchase fresh Iberian pork and ingredients for the cookery class
– After breakfast we will drive into Aracena to visit a butchers (optional visit to the abattoir for those who would like to see behind the scenes). Now you can enjoy the rest of the day to perhaps visit Aracena and it’s wonderful caves, have lunch in one of the numerous bars, or opt to go for a walk with our detailed walking notes and map.
– At around 18h, we start the cooking class using the fresh ingredients bought that morning where you’ll be shown how to prepare a wonderful meal incorporating the Iberian pork and a typical Spanish starter.
– At 9pm enjoy a farewell dinner in the company of your fellow guests, all accompanied with wine.
- Day 4 – departure day
– No rush today as, availability permitting, you can have a late check out, taking home with you the taste of the Iberian pata negra ham along with new found insights into Andalusian rural life that we hope will remain with you long after your holiday is over.
Alternatively, why don´t you try our Gastronomic Walking Tour; a 7 day itinerant tour staying at two more environmentally friendly establishments.
Organic Ham Tours
If you prefer, we can organise a morning trip to the Organic Iberian Pig Farm for you. You will get to see the running of the farm, how the pigs are bred and find out why this ham is so special. The tour includes transfer to the farm, a guided and translated tour and a gourmet lunch including the home produced ham, charcuterie and goats cheese accompanied by organic wine.
PRICES: 2 people: 125 euros per person, 3 people: 90 euros per person, 4 people: 75 euros per person. Consult prices for larger groups